Disaster Ministries is continuing to monitor the forecasts for Hurricane Idalia. We want you to be well-prepared and know where to get helpful information.
Do you have a disaster plan? Here are a few steps you can take to prepare for hurricane season.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance company for more information.
⛪️ Preparation Resources for Churches
- Create a disaster plan or review your current church plan. Download a church disaster plan template.
- Compile a list of contact information of the congregation and staff. Create a calling tree to check on congregation members following a storm.
- Make sure to have copies of essential documents.
- Prepare the church property. Make sure loose items are secure and weatherize the building. Check to see what your church’s insurance covers, how to file storm damage claims, and take an inventory of the church to document items and their conditions.
- View an overview of what to do when a disaster strikes. Download a PDF.
- View more church resources on our Preparation page.
🏠 Preparation Resources for Individuals
- Create an emergency kit for you and your family. Don’t forget your pets when you are gathering supplies. Visit the American Red Cross, FEMA, or ReadyNC website for a list of items to include in your kit. Watch a bilingual video from NC State Extension on building a disaster kit.
- Create an emergency plan. Establish a calling tree, locate storm shelters, and make necessary arrangements for your pets.
- Make sure to secure loose items, weatherize your home, and take an inventory of items and their conditions.
- Talk with your insurance company in advance to see what your plan covers and how to properly file storm damage claims.
- Stay up to date with the latest weather updates, know where emergency shelters are located, and what the evacuation routes are for your location.
- View more resources on our Preparation page.
📢 Latest Weather Updates
📱Local Church Disaster Response Contact
We need your help! Are you ready to make a difference?
Disaster Ministries is seeking a Local Church Disaster Response (LCDR) Contact from each local church within the NC Conference. The LCDR contact will serve as a vital point of contact for us to reach out to in the event of a disaster. By having a contact from each local church, we can enhance our response efforts and communication.
Please complete our Local Church Disaster Response Contact form to help us better serve our community in times of need.
✉️ Sign Up for Updates from Disaster Ministries
Are you interested in learning more about response efforts, training, events, preparation resources, or updates on weather events? Sign up to receive updates from NC Conference Disaster Ministries.
Learn how to prepare your home, church, and community for disasters through Early Response Team training and Connecting Neighbors. View our Training page to register for an upcoming class.
Interested in hosting a training at your church? Contact Ann Huffman, NC Conference Disaster Response Coordinator, to schedule a class.