We’d like to keep everyone up-to-date about the happenings all across the NC Conference offices and committees, so we’ll be posting a roundup of all the major news at the end of every month.
Here’s an overview of NC Conference events and updates from the month of November.
- The #BeUMC focus theme for November was Diverse. View #BeUMC resources, watch video testimonials, and share A Prayer for the Diverse People of God.
- United Methodists across eastern North Carolina welcome newly-elected Bishop Connie Mitchell Shelton as their episcopal leader, effective January 1, 2023.
- The Southeastern Jurisdiction of The United Methodist Church gathered Nov 2-4 for their 2022 conference at Lake Junaluska. Watch the sessions, read articles from the Daily Christian Advocate, and find out about our new Bishop, Bishop Connie Mitchell Shelton.
- General Conference 2024 will be held in Charlotte, North Carolina April 23 – May 3, 2024. The North Carolina and Western North Carolina Conferences will co-host the event. Read the full announcement.
- Representatives from local United Methodist churches in the North Carolina Conference met Saturday, Nov. 19, at Methodist University for a Special Called Annual Conference. Learn more and watch the full session.
- The Safe Sanctuaries Team hosted a workshop for churches to review and update their Safe Sanctuary Policies.
Center for Leadership Excellence
- Hosted a webinar, QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer): Suicide Prevention Equipping for Faith Leaders, with Justin Powlison on suicide prevention.
New Faith Communities
- The United Methodist Collective was created by the Office of New Faith Communities in partnership with local UMC pastors, congregations, and conference leaders to offer support to those people who are feeling displaced or disconnected from their local United Methodist Church families due to disaffiliation. All are welcome who desire an ongoing connection to the United Methodist way of worship, discipleship, mission, sacrament, and pastoral care.
Office of Clergy Life
- The North Carolina Conference Board of Ordained Ministry elected Rev. Dr. Sangwoo Kim as its Chairperson. Rev. Kim currently serves as Senior Director of the Methodist House of Studies and the Wesleyan Formation Initiatives at Duke Divinity School. Rev. Kim has been serving as the Board Secretary and was chosen to follow Rev. Laura Fine Ledford in the role of Chairperson.
- Disaster Ministries held an Early Response Team basic and recertification course.
- The Annual Election Period for 2023 HealthFlex insurance benefits began on November 2 and closed on November 17.
- Have you ever wondered, “What do churches get from paying apportionments?”
- Youth across the Conference met at the Rocky Mount Event Center November 10-12 for Pilgrimage 2022.