September is National Preparedness Month. Disaster Ministries offers Early Response Team and Connecting Neighbors training courses to help you learn how to prepare and respond to disasters. Here are a few steps your church can take to be prepared.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance company for more information.
- Create a plan. Establish a communications plan for how the church will prepare and respond to a disaster. Download a local church disaster plan template.
- Compile a list of contact information of the congregation and staff.
- Make sure to have copies of important documents.
- Take an inventory of the church to document items and their conditions.
- Check to see what your church’s insurance covers and how to file storm damage claims.
- Prepare the church property. Make sure loose items are secure and weatherize the building.