- This event has passed.
Effective Communication in Times of Crisis, Session 1
A workshop with Diane Degnan
August 10, 2022 @ 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
When your church has a crisis, how can you be ready? Join us for a three-week workshop series and learn the skills you need to provide an immediate response in a crisis, develop successful strategies for pre-empting or managing a crisis, and avoid critical mistakes that can cause long-term damage.
Register once and we will send you the link for all three Zoom sessions. All sessions will be recorded, and registrants will receive links to the recordings as soon as they are available.
Session 1 (August 10): Crisis Planning and Strategic Response
Participants will learn how to:
- create a crisis plan;
- develop effective strategies for use in managing a crisis;
- earn trust and build credibility.
Session 2 (August 17): Audiences and Messaging
In a crisis, you need to develop clear communication goals and key messages to support them. Participants will learn how to:
- communicate with a purpose;
- identify target audiences and create an effective communication strategy for each;
- get how-to’s for creating messages.
Session 3 (August 24): Dealing with the News Media
You will learn essential skills for dealing successfully with the news media during a crisis. Participants will learn how to:
- be prepared when reporters call and take control of media interviews;
- get desired quotes in news stories and reduce the chances of being misquoted or taken out-of-context;
- avoid pitfalls and handle hostile questioning.
About Diane Degnan
Diane Degnan has more than 25 years of experience working in media and public relations and has trained and coached hundreds of persons to become skilled spokespersons. As Director of Public Relations at United Methodist Communications, Diane oversees the development and execution of public relations and social media strategies for The United Methodist Church. In addition, she works to create a voice for the church in the secular and religious media and helps church leaders surmount communication challenges and crises.