Any active member of a United Methodist Church is eligible to become a certified lay servant.
- Talk to Your Pastor. You will need the recommendation of your pastor and church council or charge conference.
- Take the Basic Course for Lay Servant Ministries. You can take this course through any district. Find upcoming offerings here.
- Take one advanced course. Any course offered through Lay Servant Ministries that is not the basic course will suffice to meet this requirement.
- Complete the lay servant application.
- Signatures – When you submit your application, your pastor and church council chair will receive an email inviting them to fill out a simple form as their electronic signature to recommend you as a certified lay servant. Be sure you are in conversation with both so they will anticipate this email.
- Final Approval: Once all materials are received, the district committee on Lay Servant Ministries will review your application and can affirm your certification.
If you have any questions, reach out to your district director of Lay Servant Ministries or contact Leah Wiebe-Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, Director of Leadership Development and Christian Formation for the North Carolina Conference.