September is National Preparedness Month. The theme for 2023 is “Take Control in 1, 2, 3”.
Here are a few ways you can prepare for hurricane season and other disasters:
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance company for more information.
- Create a disaster plan or review your current church plan. Download a church disaster plan template.
- Compile a list of contact information and create a calling tree to check on congregation members following a storm. Download a contact card template.
- Make copies of essential documents.
- Prepare the property. Check to see what your insurance plan covers, how to file storm damage claims, and take an inventory of items and document their conditions.
- View an overview of what to do when disaster strikes.
- Prepare your family for disasters by creating an emergency plan.
- Stay up to date with the latest weather updates, know where your emergency shelters are located, and what the evacuation routes are for your location.
- Create an emergency kit. Don’t forget your pets when gathering supplies – make sure to have food, water, and medications for them, too.