A Partnership with the Liberia Annual Conference – Connected in the Love of Jesus
The people of the North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church have a long history with the people of Liberia. In 1832, the first United Methodist Missionary journeyed from Edenton Street UMC to Liberia, seeking to share the love and life of Jesus with our Liberian brothers and sisters. Melville Cox died in Liberia while sharing this magnificent love and story. He gave his life so that others would live. Today, after 25 years of civil war, in the midst of tribal tensions, factional hatred, and desperate poverty, our Liberian brothers and sisters suffer deeply. The need for such dramatic outreach still exists.
Melville Cox, when warned he might die in Africa, exclaimed, “Let a thousand die before Africa be given up!” Let us remember. Let us not give up. This is “Love for Liberia.”
Primary Components of Ministry Action
- Opportunities for Giving to Critical Ministries in Liberia
- Supporting our United Methodist Missionaries in Liberia
- Praying for our Brothers and Sisters in Liberia
- Ganta United Methodist Hospital January to April 2018 newsletter
- Ganta United Methodist Mission Station Newsletter May-June 2019
- Liberia Education Update July, August, September 2018
- Liberia Education Update December 2018
- Liberia Education Update May 2019
- Liberia Education Update June 2019
- Liberia Education Update July/August 2019
- Liberia Education Update September 2019
Key goals of Love for Liberia:
- Engaging ministry through the seven pathways of ministry in discipleship and formation for the transformation of the world.
- Listening to the requests for assistance from our brothers and sisters in need in Liberia.
- Sharing those needs with individuals and churches throughout our Annual Conference.
- Supporting eight specific ministries where our Conference can make a difference.
- Working to put a “face on mission” so that the needs of real people in Liberia are shown and so that God’s people can respond.
- Working with and for the children and youth of Liberia whenever possible. To make a difference in the lives of children who are often overlooked in a society that is trying to rebuild after devastating wars.
- Working with and through the ministries of the missionaries of the General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church.
- Sending work teams to Liberia.
- Bringing persons from Liberia to itinerate among the local churches in the Annual Conference.
There are many articles posted for Love for Liberia. Here are the latest.
You can download the original Love for Liberia guide. (Please note, this is a large file.) It includes theological parameters of the outreach, history, process, stories, pictures, and other data. ***The Love for Liberia guide has some outdated information! It is still a source of information about our mission there. Details about the missionaries serving and the ongoing ministries may have changed. Read the current newsletter for the latest information! ***
“A partnership that involves thoughtful, mutual understanding among Christians from every tradition and culture within the world wide Church is indispensable for faithful united witness to Jesus Christ.”