Global Missionaries, Deaconnesses/Home Missioners, and Individual Mission Volunteers
The following persons have been recommended by the North Carolina Conference Missions Team for Salary & Ministry Support:
- MOZART ADEVU, Eastern Africa (#13996-Z) Mozart is a GBGM missionary serving as the Africa Regional Coordinator for the sustainable Agriculture and Development Program for UMCOR. He is based in Accra, Ghana, West Africa. (Full bio)
- LISA BACHMAN, (#S-00272) NC Conference Deaconess Lisa serves the NC Conference of the UMC as deaconess and volunteer Conference Director of Lay Servant Ministries (LSM). She works with the Conference Committee on Lay Servant Ministries to implement the new requirements from the 2013 Discipline. As a deaconess, she has had a ministry of Encouraging and Enabling Lay Ministry since 2011. She is the main organizer for the Northern Orange Community Resource Fair and devotes time to presentations on social justice issues, teaching UMW mission studies and other UMW events.
- WIL BAILEY, San Isidro,Costa Rica (SEJ/Conference Missionary – IMV) (#S-00140) Wil will be responsible for working with local pastors in the southern zone of Costa Rica and will organize the projects at the Methodist churches in that area for U.S. work teams. Also will teach Theology, Bible and English at the extension campus of the Methodist seminary in San Isidro. Wil’s Web Site
- CHARLES BARROW, (#S-00274) Home Missioner Eastern NC Charles’ ministry is with “Food For Hungry Neighbors” which supplies surplus fresh produce to the local church food pantries, soup kitchens, and the food bank of eastern North Carolina. Some of the food is gleaned by different church groups. This ministry also addresses the importance of eating fresh vegetables for a healthy diet.
- BRIAN DUBBERLY, Salvadoran Mission Project (SEJ/Conference Missionary – IMV) (#S-00197) Brian works with the Methodist Church in El Salvador to improve the spiritual and physical lives of economically disadvantaged people living in El Salvador. He coordinates work teams to build and repair church buildings, build and staff medical clinics, provide food for the hungry, and build homes for people who do not have sufficient financial resources to obtain a home through any other program. Brian’s Web Site
- ELLYN DUBBERLY, El Salvador (#3021818) Ellyn is a GBGM missionary who has been assigned to work with the Evangelical Methodist Church of El Salvador in the Ahuachapan area of that country. She will be working to connect local social service support systems with the ministries of the Church so that women and children in particular can live and learn in a thriving environment. Contact information. (Full Bio)
- BUTCH HUFFMAN (#S-00192) (SEJ/NC Conference Missionary – IMV) Butch is engaging, encouraging, resourcing congregations for mission work team participation. He works with churches to equip them with the “how-to’s” of doing local and foreign mission work teams. He can provide guidance or can lead the team if necessary.
- SHIRLEY TOWNSEND JONES, (#982995) Church and Community Worker, Bennettsville-Cheraw, SC. Shirley works with the Bennettsville-Cheraw Area Cooperative Ministry in the SC Conference. She coordinates and implements spiritual, educational, social and economic programs for the 13 member churches and communities. (Full bio)
- DOUG JOHNSON, (#S-00250) NC Conference As an NCC Evangelist, Doug Johnson serves in Blessed2BlessU Ministries (B2BU) which shares the love of God in word and deed. B2BU’s goal is to encourage everyone to seek a clearer understanding of God’s design and a closer relationship with God through Christ Jesus by striving to live out the understanding that God blesses us so that we can bless others. Blessing others includes activities such as holding Revivals, Crusades, Tent Meetings; service on Mission Teams or in local ministries, and teaching others about the truth of God’s love. B2BU is not confined to the four walls of any church or religion but is eager to serve God at home
and abroad through preaching, teaching, and service
- RHONDA MAURER, (#S-00271) Shanghai, China (Conference Missionary – IMV) An SEJ/Conference International Servant, Rhonda teaches at Shanghai Normal University in Shanghai, China. She teaches English and, to our knowledge, is the only believing, native-English speaking professor in her department. She builds disciples as she shares her faith and life with college students, colleagues, and the staff at Shanghai Normal University. Additionally, Rhonda builds connections between UMC ministries in the West and ministries in the East.
- MELBA McCALLUM, (#S-00195) Gateway District, NCC Salary support for Dr. McCallum, who serves as the Director of Partners in Ministry. She partners with youth, young adults, families, and the church to help build and mobilize capacity within the district through “hands-on” ministry.
- NARA MELKONYAN, Armenia (See #3 under World Mission) Nara is Director of Project AGAPE.
- YUKO MILLER, (#S-00251) NC Conference Mission Volunteer Yuko is a determined Evangelist to the North Carolina Conference while also serving as a mission volunteer to Japan by bringing The United Methodist Church to Japan through annual visits unifying local churches there with an evangelistic-driven outreach to the lost. She preaches the Word of God, gives her testimony to the lost, and encourages by singing.
- VICKIE SIGMON, Winston-Salem, NC (#982916-8) Vickie works in a high risk community developing Christian community, promoting social justice and proclaiming God’s loving presence. (Full bio)
- NANCY VAN ANTWERP, (#S-00273) NCC Outreach Nancy is a Deaconess, appointed to serve the Outreach Ministry of the NC Conference. She promotes the Rainbow Covenant and other mission initiatives and is an available resource to speak, train, and equip congregations, groups and individuals for mission engagement globally and locally.
- MARY ZIGBUO, (#10721Z) Mary Randall Zigbuo is a missionary with the General Board of Global Ministries of The United Methodist Church serving as health project manager for the Liberia Episcopal Area. She is based in Monrovia, Liberia. She works with the health board and the Liberian conference’s department of connectional ministries in the areas of capacity building, financial management, and health care planning. Special emphasis is on Ganta Hospital, which serves a population of 65,000 people as the only hospital in northeastern Liberia. – (Full bio)