The Conference Council on Youth Ministry (CCYM) is our Conference’s youth leadership board. It aims to include youth from all districts to lead Conference Youth Ministry and meets to plan and promote Conference Youth events and engage in the business of Conference Youth Ministry.
CCYM meets twice during the year, in September and January. Each meeting begins with worship and communion led by members of the CCYM. The recent September meeting was the first CCYM meeting led by newly installed Conference Director of Youth Ministries, Rev. Jason Villegas, and new co-CCYM chairpersons Julia Royall Johnson and Danny Peck.
At the most recent CCYM meeting, held on September 17, it was announced that our Conference Youth will host four events in the coming year: Kaleidoscope, Pilgrimage, Breakaway, and Global Vision. A fifth event that aims to strengthen diversity in Conference Youth Events, tentatively named “Más Diversity”, is being worked on with the help of leaders from the Racial Equity & Justice Ministries.
2022-2023 Events Schedule
- Pilgrimage – November 11-13, 2022, at the Rocky Mount Event Center
- Global Vision – March 24-26, 2023, at Camp Rockfish
- Kaleidoscope – April 21-23, 2023, at Camp Don Lee
- Más Diversity – June 21-24, 2023, location TBD
- Summer Breakaway – June 26-July 1, 2023, at NC Wesleyan University
Members of CCYM can also serve on Communications Committee, Resolutions Committee, or Youth Service Fund task force. The Communications Committee sends out information about events via social media and email, the Resolutions Committee works with youth to write resolutions about topics they feel strongly about, and the Youth Service Fund task force designs apparel and gives grants.
- The Youth Service Fund advised CCYM to give a $1,000 grant to the Western North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church’s Youth Service Fund, which has been unable to give grants of its own in the last several years.
- The Communications Committee rolled out a new social media campaign to increase youth engagement during the school year.
- Our Resolution Committee addressed the issues in our constitution and will continue exploring new ways to get more youth voices involved in the legislative process.
- Finally, our Conference Youth Ministry Task Force will continue to meet and be in conversation about ways to faithfully envision youth ministry in the present and future.
Our Conference’s youth ministry is alive and busy, and we hope to welcome more youth to our events and fellowship this year! For more information, visit nccumc.org/youth.