During Women’s History Month, we are highlighting 9 female Bible study authors that we recommend for study in United Methodist churches. Abingdon Press is the publishing arm of The United Methodist Publishing House. They have published the work of these wise women whose studies are in line with United Methodist teachings. Consider one of their works for your next Bible study. All of these studies use a DVD, leader guide, and participant book.
Jennifer Cowart is Executive and Teaching Pastor of Harvest Church, a United Methodist congregation in Georgia. With degrees in Christian education, counseling, and business, she has been integral to the development of the Emerging and Discipleship Ministries at Harvest.
- Pursued: God’s Relentless Love for YOU: A Study from Genesis to Revelation
- Fierce: Women of the Bible Who Changed the World
- Messy People: Life Lessons from Imperfect Biblical Heroes
Jennifer also co-authored several studies with her husband, Jim Cowart. They are co-pastors of Harvest Church.
- The One: Reaching the Lost with the Love of Christ: A Bible Study from Luke 15
- Hand Me Downs: Leaving a Legacy
- Grounded in Prayer
- Living the Five
- Grab Gather Grow: Multiply Community Groups in Your Church
Jessica LaGrone is Dean of the Chapel at Asbury Theological Seminary and an acclaimed pastor, teacher, and speaker who enjoys leading retreats and events throughout the United States. She previously served as Pastor of Creative Ministries at The Woodlands United Methodist Church in Houston, Texas.
- The Rewritten Life: When God Changes Your Story
- The Miracles of Jesus: Finding God in Desperate Moments
- Set Apart: Holy Habits of Prophets and Kings: A Bible Study on 1 and 2 Kings
- Broken and Blessed: How God Used One Imperfect Family to Change the World
- Namesake: When God Rewrites Your Story
Sarah Heath is the pastor of First United Methodist Church in Costa Mesa, California. With roots in Canada and Mississippi, she is a graduate of Duke Divinity School and an ordained elder in the California-Pacific Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church.
- What’s Your Story? Seeing Your Life Through God’s Eyes
- The Authenticity Challenge: 21 Days to a More Content Life
Barb Roose is a popular speaker and author who enjoys teaching and encouraging women at conferences and events across the country, including the Aspire Women’s Events, She Speaks, the UMC Leadership Institute, and many more. Before her transition to full-time speaking and writing in January 2016, Barb served on staff at CedarCreek Church in Perrysburg, OH for 14 years on the executive leadership and teaching teams.
- Breakthrough: Finding Freedom in Christ: A Study in Galatians
- Surrendered: Letting Go & Living Like Jesus: A Study of Jesus in the Wilderness
- I’m Waiting, God: Finding Blessing in God’s Delays
- Joshua: Winning the Worry Battle
- Beautiful Already: Reclaiming God’s Perspective on Beauty
Melissa Spoelstra is a popular women’s conference speaker (including the Aspire Women’s Events), Bible teacher, and author who is madly in love with Jesus and passionate about helping others to seek Christ and know Him more intimately. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in Bible Theology and enjoys teaching God’s Word to diverse groups and churches within the body of Christ.
- Acts: Awakening to God in Everyday Life
- The Names of God: His Character Revealed
- Romans: Good News that Changes Everything
- Elijah: Spiritual Stamina in Every Season
- Numbers: Learning Contentment in a Culture of More
- First Corinthians: Living Love When We Disagree
- Joseph: The Journey to Forgiveness
- Jeremiah: Daring to Hope in an Unstable World
Amy-Jill Levine (“AJ”) is Rabbi Stanley M. Kessler Distinguished Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies at Hartford International University for Religion and Peace and University Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies Emerita, Mary Jane Werthan Professor of Jewish Studies Emerita, and Professor of New Testament Studies Emerita at Vanderbilt University. AJ describes herself as an unorthodox member of an Orthodox synagogue and a Yankee Jewish feminist who until 2021 taught New Testament in a Christian divinity school in the buckle of the Bible Belt.
- The Difficult Words of Jesus: A Beginner’s Guide to His Most Perplexing Teachings
- Sermon on the Mount: A Beginner’s Guide to the Kingdom of Heaven
- Short Stories by Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi
Amy-Jill is also the author of several studies for Lent and Advent. She also taught a few classes for the Teaching Company’s Great Courses that are available on DVD:
Heather M. Dixon
Heather M. Dixon is an author, speaker, and Bible teacher who understands living with a story that is not easy. Diagnosed with an incurable and terminal genetic disorder that she inherited from her mother, she is passionate about encouraging and equipping women to trust in God, face their greatest fears, and live with hope, especially amid difficult circumstances. She received a B.A. in Music from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and currently leads a women’s ministry program at Wake Cross Roads Baptist Church in Raleigh.
- Renewed: Finding Hope When You Don’t Like Your Story: Lessons from Naomi in the Book of Ruth
- Determined: Living Like Jesus in Every Moment: A Study of Luke
Amberly Neese is a speaker, humorist, and encourager with a passion for “GRINspiring” others. With a master’s degree from Biola University, Amberly serves as an adjunct professor at Grand Canyon University and the Master Connector for Inspiring Growth, an organization developed to equip and encourage growth in leaders and businesses.
- Common Ground: Loving Others Despite Our Differences: A Study of Sibling Rivalries in the Bible
- The Belonging Project: Finding Your Tribe and Learning to Thrive: A Bible Study of the “One Another” Sayings in the New Testament
Tiffany Bluhm is a speaker and writer who is passionate about helping women come to know their value and purpose because of a loving, redeeming God. In a style that speaks to women right where they are, she shares insights from a life spent chasing after Jesus while walking alongside women from suburbia to the inner city, jails and brothels, and the slums of Kolkata. As a minority, immigrant woman with an interracial family, she is passionate about equality, justice, and dignity.
- She Dreams: Live the Life You Were Created For
- Never Alone: 6 Encounters with Jesus to Heal Your Deepest Hurts
Additional Studies by Women
Browse these lists for more studies in our collection authored by women:
- Women’s Ministry Video Resources Pathfinder
- Women’s Ministry Book Resources Pathfinder
- DVD Studies for Women’s Groups
Request These Resources
These resources can be borrowed for free by anyone involved with a United Methodist Church in the North Carolina Conference. We will mail them to your home! All you need to do is fill out the Resource Request Form.