Website Sunrise United Methodist Church, Holly Springs, NC
The Church Pianist will play an essential role in the mission and ministry of Sunrise United Methodist Church by providing piano accompaniment during weekly worship services and other activities in support of the music ministry of the church. This individual will collaborate with fellow staff members, working under the direction of the Pastor and Director of Music, as well as musicians in the church and congregation.
This is a part-time, year-round position. Attendance is expected for Sunday morning worship services, rehearsals with other church musicians, and other special services, including (but not limited to) Christmas and Easter.
Key Requirements and Responsibilities
- A disciple of Jesus Christ, committed to growing in faith.
- Supportive and enthusiastic attitude regarding the church’s mission and activities.
- Flexibility in work schedule, with specific availability for Sunday activities.
- Ability to compassionately interact with a variety of people.
- Ability to take direction and work as a team member.
- Communicates well and in a friendly manner with the church leadership, church choir, and members of the congregation.
Musical experience and ability
- Experience in church worship and familiarity with The United Methodist Hymnal.
- Flexibility to play in various styles of worship services, including traditional, contemporary, and blended (incorporating both traditional and modern music).
- Knowledge of the instrument and oversight for care of church musical equipment.
- Knowledge of basic music theory and ability to perform simple transpositions or reharmonizations.
- Ability to sight-read music as well as chord charts and lead sheets.
- Willingness to rehearse sufficiently to maintain a high quality of music.
Musical requirements and availability
- Support the church’s worship environment through the well-prepared execution of music.
- Plan and prepare preludes, postludes, hymns, musical responses, and offertories, in collaboration with the Director of Music, according to the needs of the worship services.
- Serve as accompanist on Sunday mornings during worship services.
- Serve as accompanist for the choir and other musical groups in regular and special rehearsals and performances as coordinated with the Director of Music.
- Lead sectional rehearsals, as coordinated with the Director of Music.
- Lead the choir and other musical groups in rehearsals and services in absence of the Director of Music, as needed and upon availability.
- Play for weddings and funerals, as requested and upon availability, being permitted to receive additional compensation from the parties involved.
- Oversee piano needs and maintenance, and notify the Director of Music accordingly.
Planning, Organizing, and Reporting
- Coordinate with the Director of Music weekly to plan Sunday morning music.
- Promptly report planned absences to the Director of Music to allow for scheduling of a substitute pianist, and assist in finding a substitute.
- Partner with other staff and lay leaders in coordinating the yearly church calendar and major events as they relate to music.
- Recruit volunteers to support specific activities/events (Christmas/Easter Cantatas, special musical events).
Applicants may submit resume and cover letter to: email@example.com ATTN: Angie DiNoto, Sunrise UMC Staff-Parish Relations Committee Chair
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org