Website Sunrise United Methodist Church, Holly Springs
This is a part-time, year-round salaried position, requiring approximately 10 hours per week on a flexible schedule. Most of the work can be done at home on a schedule convenient to the employee. Candidates should have some background in accounting and/or bookkeeping.
The Church Financial Secretary shall not be personally involved in counting any church funds (those duties are outlined below under the counting committee). He/She is accountable to the Administrative Council and its committees. He/She shall be responsible for overseeing the disbursement of all funds received into the church treasury and to further assure church funds are kept in a responsible and organized manner in accordance with the policies, procedures and internal controls established by the church. Additional responsibilities include:
• Oversee the preparation of all checks before disbursement and assure that all money disbursed on behalf of the church is in keeping with the church’s budget, and that accurate records are maintained of how money is spent.
• Process all checks, recording them in the appropriate accounting software program.
• Certify the Weekly Offering Cash Count Form once the counting team count has been confirmed, maintain the original copy of this form for a minimum of three years in the church office for referral if needed. Provide a copy of the signed form to the Treasurer for reconciliation records.
• Prepare offerings and other gifts that have been counted for deposit into the appropriate bank account and make the deposits. Provide copies of the deposit receipt to the Financial Secretary and Treasurer as well as maintaining the original for the SUMC financial files.
• Maintain a record of all bank transactions, including all checks dispersed and receipts deposited on a weekly basis.
• Makes periodic reports to the Finance Committee on the status of any open church loans.
• Direct the processing of all payroll checks, Tax Form 941’s, W-2’s and other government records required in a timely fashion through the payroll service.
• Record donor pledges for general fund and any capital campaigns and make periodic reports to the donors on the status of their pledge.
• Record the contributions to each family’s contribution record and to the general ledger
• Responsible for reporting to the Finance Committee each month the status of contributions to the church.
• Perform bank reconciliation on primary church accounts each month in a timely fashion.
• Signs and dates the reconciliation report. This is done electronically through Church Windows.
• Provide copies of the reconciliation report to the Treasurer for review.
• Verifies that the beginning balance equals the ending balance of the previous month both in the checking account and the general ledger.
• Ensure that computer files are backed up weekly, at a minimum monthly, and the back-ups are stored off premises.
• Supervise daily cash balances to ensure sufficient funds are maintained and make recommendations for the investment of any excess funds.
• Maintains adequate filing and storage system for all financial and banking records for documentation of church assets and other information for insurance and other purposes.
• Prepares records for annual audit.
• Maintain historical data, and establish a retention system for old financial records in accordance with government requirements (minimum of 7 years).
• In conjunction with the Church Trustees ensure that all church property is adequately insured for casualty and liability losses.
• Ensure that all governmental taxes, reporting forms, and regulations are met on a timely basis.
* Provide monthly financial information as needed to the church treasurer for presentation to various committees.
Applicants may submit resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
ATTN: Angie DiNoto, Sunrise UMC Staff-Parish Relations Committee Chair
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org