Website Saint Luke UMC, Sanford, NC
Since 1974, St. Luke Church has joyfully welcomed all people to worship, serve, and grow in their relationship with God and one another. We are located on a 16-acre campus near the intersection of US1 Bypass and Wicker Street in the heart of Sanford, North Carolina. As a congregation of The United Methodist Church, we are proud of our evangelical heritage. We believe God’s love for the world is an active and engaged love, seeking justice and liberty and thus, we are active in ministries in our local community, in our region of North Carolina and, through our connectional network to the church worldwide, we are active around the globe.
We look forward to welcoming a new Music Director who will engage with singers and musicians of all ages and abilities to enhance the worship life of our vibrant congregation. We promise to support you with our time and resources to enable you to give your best to our worship experience.
Summary of the Position:
St. Luke is seeking a part time Music Director to lead our worship music for traditional 11 AM Sunday service and special worship services in a manner that enhances the spirit of worship and strengthens our congregation in praising and serving God. A resume, cover letter, and requests for additional information may be sent to Laura Alverson, Office Manager, St. Luke Church, 2916 Wicker Street, Sanford, NC, 27330.
The current Adult Choir is approximately 20 members. There is not a current handbell choir.
Degree in music or equivalent experience and demonstrated proficiency, knowledge of liturgical and sacred music, willingness to learn and innovate.
1. Plan and lead music at the 11:00 AM traditional worship service on Sunday mornings and other special services, including an occasional Sunday evening or mid-week service such as Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week, and Thanksgiving. (We can provide a typical annual calendar of services.)
2. Plan and rehearse with the Chancel Choir and potentially, a Handbell Choir, at midweek rehearsals for any special music used in the worship service, and occasionally, rehearse with any soloists and instrumentalists
3. Assist the ministerial staff with the selection of music; work with technicians to establish proper balance of sound; advise the ministerial staff on the annual music budget.
4. Attend weekly staff meetings, assist ministerial staff and other staff in the recruitment of church members to become part of the music ministry
5. Plan, coordinate and lead the annual Christmas Cantata
6. Suggest additional opportunities for music performance and music education opportunities for our congregation.
7. Perform other related tasks as may be requested from time to time.
Accountable to the congregation through the Staff Parish Relations Committee and the Church Council.
An average of eight hours per week of work time is anticipated, with the understanding that additional
hours will sometimes be required. Work hours include time spent in rehearsals, practice, planning, Sunday morning worship and other whole church activities (including special services).
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- $10,000 – $12,000 per year
- Ability to use church facilities for private lessons
Work Location: One location, 2916 Wicker Street, Sanford, NC, 27330, commuting is acceptable
To apply for this job please visit www.saintlukeumc.org.