Scouting Ministries has released the following updates as the year draws to a close:
- A final version of the Affiliation Agreement has been released on the GCUMM website, dated Dec. 15, 2022. There is only one Final Affiliation Agreement and one Facilities Use Agreement. These will be the documents for the next year.
- The stated background check requirement has been put back in, but this time, in line with the requirements BSA agreed to in the bankruptcy (Section II, “The Local Council Agrees to” Section B. Adult Leadership. 4)
- The original statement of BSA compliance with the settlement, requiring background checks every two years, remains unchanged. (Section II, “The Local Council Agrees to” Section B. Adult Leadership. 3)
GCUMM will not and has not taken actions that diminish the protection of the church. We do seek ways to grow the ministry, care for children safely, and honor the calling of tens of thousands of adults who volunteer to live out their faith.
Yours in Service,
Steven Scheid, Director
Center for Scouting Ministries / GCUMM
Have Questions? Contact Us!
Curious about how this applies to your church? Have an unanswered question?
Other articles and information related to The UMC and BSA.
- UMC Portion of Boy Scouts’ Bankruptcy Ruling Approved→
- New era for church and Boy Scouts of America→
- BSA Bankruptcy Affects United Methodist Congregations→
- BSA bankruptcy concerns church leaders→
- Congregations Encouraged to Vote No on BSA Bankruptcy Plan→
- Churches advised to oppose BSA bankruptcy plan→
- United Methodists reach settlement in Boy Scouts’ bankruptcy case→
- $30 Million from United Methodists in BSA Bankruptcy→
- United Methodists Extend BSA Charters Through June 2022→