In conflict transformation, we often use a covenant to guide a group conversation. Our covenant lays out the ground rules for the conversation. We ask all people in the conversation to agree to the terms of the covenant. When we know and follow the covenant, we are able to communicate with one another in healthier ways.
During the pandemic, we have shifted to online platforms for conversation. We have adapted our in-person Conversational Covenant to a virtual format. At the beginning of each virtual conversation, the facilitators review the virtual conversational covenant with participants.
Next blog post will be the Conversational Covenant we use for in-person conversations. I encourage you to consider the use of conversational covenants in your circles of influence!
This Virtual Conversational Covenant is for creating safer, sacred space for all participants. Your presence indicates your agreement to abide by the following Conversational Covenant:
- We will respect the facilitators as the leaders of the conversation.
- We will use “I” statements and speak only from our own experiences.
- We will keep the conversation confidential, meaning whatever is said is not to be shared with anyone who has not participated in the virtual conversation.
- We will not make any electronic recordings of the conversation.
- We will limit note-taking to brief reminders of topics to address when it is our turn to speak.