“The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.” — Proverbs 11:25, NLT
Amid the climate of public health concerns and the need to practice social distancing, many churches are conducting online worship services to continue ministry during this pandemic. We are pleased that United Methodists are using all the tools available to do ministry.
United Methodism’s Native American Ministries Sunday celebration is this Sunday. We hope that you are reviewing your online worship plans. Here are some tips and tools to use in your online service this Sunday:
- If your church has online giving, communicate that information to the congregation or promote umcgiving.org/giveNAMS for online giving to this Special Sunday.
- Present a mission story from the Native American Ministries Sunday Mission Moments and More (includes vignette about an offering recipient, a Scripture reading and an offertory prayer) or use the Offering Talk provided in the Pastor and Leader Kit before you receive the offering.
- Lead the congregation in the Liturgy.
- Remind your speaker to emphasize ideas from the Sermon Starter.
- Soon after Native American Ministries Sunday, share the total offering received and thank the congregation for their generous gifts.
- Send the offering to your annual conference treasurer.
“As we find our churches’ physical doors closing, we are encouraged to be creative in how we do church, including using electronic media to share worship and Bible study, showing care for one another through phone calls and social media, and continuing to support congregations by giving online or by mail,” writes Bishop David Bard, Michigan Area. Thank you for your generous gifts to the Native American Ministries Sunday offering. When we give, God prospers both the giver and the recipient. Your gifts empower Native American congregations and outreach, and supports Native American pastors.
The Rev. Glen Chebon Kernell
Executive Secretary of Native American and Indigenous Ministries
General Board of Global Ministries
Executive Director, Loans and Scholarships
General Board of Higher Education and Ministry