Registration is open for the 2019 Carolinas Black Clergy Leadership Retreat – “Navigating the Changing Landscape: A Fearless Dialogue” – set for May 20-24 at Kingston Plantation in Myrtle Beach.
The retreat is an opportunity to get away to a quiet place to be renewed, reconnected, refreshed and refocused. It’s a chance to get to know new people with whom you share United Methodist DNA, and to be filled as we praise, worship, learn, have some fun – and just take some time to relax.
Coming out of the 2019 General Conference, what lies ahead? What does the road before us look like now? As we see the decline in attendance in our denomination and other mainline churches, we see that the landscape is changing.
Now is a great time to come together to have some dialogue in a safe space that will help to strengthen our Beloved Community, as well as the ministry of each pastor and local church they serve. You will come away with not only ideas, but practical tools to help you and your leadership team begin where you are and work toward becoming healthy, vital and moving to growth – even in a time of chaos and uncertainty.
Using the “Fearless Dialogues” model, we will create unique spaces for difficult, heartfelt conversations between unlikely partners. It retrains the eyes and ears of leaders to see gifts instead of stereotypes, and to hear value in the storied lives of others.
- Bishop L. Jonathan Holston, resident bishop of the South Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church
- Bishop Hope Morgan Ward, resident bishop of the North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church
- Bishop Paul L. Leeland, resident bishop of the Western North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church
- Rev. Olu Brown, a church planter, author and lead pastor at Impact United Methodist Church in East Point, Georgia
- Dr. Gregory Ellison II, author of “Fearless Dialogues” and a professor of pastoral care and counseling at Candler School of Theology
- Dr. Fred Allen, national director of Strengthening the Black Church for the 21st Century
ABOUT THE RETREAT
See the attached pdf for more information about the retreat, including cost, accommodations and a schedule of events.