Studies on spiritual growth, missions, issues, and some books selected for the UMW Reading Program can be borrowed for free from the NC Conference Media Center.
2019 Spiritual Growth Study
The 2019 United Methodist Women spiritual growth study is on the Gospel of Mark. These book studies for adults, youth, and children offer 4-5 weeks of deep study on themes of discipleship, resurrection, and compassion.
- Adults: Practicing Resurrection: The Gospel of Mark and Radical Discipleship by Janet Wolf
- Youth: Who Do You Say That I Am? Meeting Jesus through the Eyes of Mark by Carolyn Poling
- Children: Marked: A Mission Journey with Jesus by Rita Hays
2019 Reading Program
Do you participate in the United Methodist Women Reading Program? The Reading Program encourages members to think critically about current issues through an annual selection of member-reviewed books. The complete list of books for current and recent years of the Reading Program can be viewed here.
The following books that are listed on the 2019 Reading Program can be borrowed from the NC Conference Media Center:
- The Mission-Minded Guide to Church and School Partnerships by Jake McGlothin (Education for Mission)
- Make a Difference: Following Your Passion and Finding Your Place to Serve by James A. Harnish (Education for Mission)
- Fresh Expressions: A New Kind of Methodist Church for People Not in Church by Kenneth H. Carter Jr. and Audrey Warren (Leadership Development)
- Synergy: A Leadership Guide for Church Staff and Volunteers by Ann A. Michel (Leadership Development)
- Who is My Neighbor? ¿Quién es Mi Vecino? Learning Spanish as Church Hospitality by Joyce Carrasco, Ruth Cassel Hoffman, and Ngoc-Diep Nguyen. Teacher’s Manual and Student Manual. (Leadership Development)
- Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community? by Martin Luther King, Jr. (Social Action)
- The Wesley Challenge: 21 Days to a More Authentic Faith by Chris Folmsbee. Leader Guide and Participant Book. (Spiritual Growth)
- What’s Your Story? Seeing Your Life Through God’s Eyes by Sarah Heath (Spiritual Growth/Youth)
The Media Center has collected UMW study resources for many years. These excellent resources for adults, youth, and children can still be borrowed from our collection. They provide well-researched and thoughtful curriculum on the following topics:
- Covenantal living
- Creation care
- Human sexuality
- Domestic violence
- Missionary conferences
- Latin America
- Native Americans
The Media Center also collects DVDs and books about the United Methodist Women organization and their history in missions.
All of these resources are listed in the United Methodist Women pathfinder.
Request These Resources
These resources can be borrowed for free by anyone involved with a United Methodist Church in the North Carolina Conference. We will mail them to your home! All you need to do is fill out the Resource Request Form.