Are you a church librarian in the NC Conference? The NC Conference Media Center is taking this Church Library Month to get connected with the folks who work in the libraries of our local churches. Church librarians that are included in our Conference database will receive a letter in the mail including the information below. If you do not receive a letter and would like to be on our mailing list, please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please fill out the NCCUMC Church Librarian Survey to help us provide better services for our local churches and networking opportunities for our church librarians. All staff and volunteers at church libraries in the NC Conference are invited to participate. Go to the survey.
Church Library Month
Church libraries around the country will use this time to promote their collections and services. Would you like to join them? Here are some ideas to celebrate Church Library Month in your church:
- Create a bulletin blurb or insert
- Ask the pastor and/or lay leaders to make announcements
- Offer games and prizes to church members to learn about the library
- Ask for volunteers
- Offer extended hours
- Invite donations or a special offering
- Host a book drive for the needy
- Host a fundraiser like a book sale or bake sale
- Host an open house with refreshments
NC Conference Media Center Website
Check out some of these activities on our website:
- Our online catalog – maybe we have something you don’t. There is no membership fee! We pay to mail items to you; you pay to mail them back.
- Church librarian training – sharpen your skills or explore new ideas.
- Online resources – instant downloads of free Christian resources found around the Internet.
- Copyright laws – get the facts about streaming movies and music in the local church.
- Guide to NC LIVE – leverage the free online resources available from NC public libraries for your congregation.
- Read reviews – get some ideas for new resources or share our reviews with your congregation.
- Submit a review – let us know what resources you would recommend and we’ll post it on our website.
- Sign up for our weekly email newsletter – get updates about new resources, recommendations, reviews, sales, and events.
- Shop in our virtual Cokesbury store – the Media Center will get a 5% rebate for your purchases.
- Chat with the librarian – use the instant message box on the right side of the page to chat during our open hours.
Church & Synagogue Library Association 2013 Annual Conference at Lake Junaluska!
I would like to encourage all church librarians to join the Church & Synagogue Library Association. It is a great way to network with other church librarians and gain access to helpful resources. Learn more at http://cslainfo.org.
The 2013 Church & Synagogue Library Association Conference will be at Lake Junaluska! This is a wonderful opportunity to meet other church librarians and get new ideas and training on a variety of church library tasks. Stay tuned to the CSLA website for more information on workshops and registration. You do not need to be a CSLA member to attend, although members do receive a discounted registration price. It may be a long time before the CSLA Conference comes back to North Carolina, so please take this opportunity to get to know the organization.
I attended the 2011 CSLA Conference and found it a fulfilling experience. Everyone was so nice, and it was great to share ideas and gain a sense of community in our often isolated ministry. I met many other United Methodist church librarians from around the country! We will even tour nearby church libraries together!
Please contact the NC Conference Media Center with any questions you may have or just to chat! I hope to see you at the CSLA Conference in July!
Media Center Associate
North Carolina Conference
United Methodist Church