Although 2020 was a very different year, our list of most borrowed resources is similar to other years with a few notable exceptions. Listed below are the top 13 most borrowed resources from the NC Conference Media Center in 2020. Keep reading to see a much longer list of titles in the Media Center’s collection that made it onto Cokesbury’s best books of 2020 list.
We’ve got 7 studies by Adam Hamilton on our list this year, up from 5 the year before. Amy-Jill Levine’s studies are growing in popularity as choices for Advent and Lent. James W. Moore’s older Advent study, Finding Bethlehem in the Midst of Bedlam, was also a popular and relevant choice for 2020.
Interestingly, Matthew Sleeth’s study on the Sabbath, 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life, made it all the way to the #2 spot in 2020.
New publications that were popular this year are the timely Virus as a Summons to Faith by Walter Brueggemann and the new United Methodist financial discipleship program, Saving Grace.
Have you used one of these resources? Share your experience by writing a review in our online catalog!
- Incarnation: Rediscovering the Significance of Christmas by Adam Hamilton
- 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life by Matthew Sleeth
- Unafraid: Living with Courage and Hope in Uncertain Times by Adam Hamilton
- Light of the World: A Beginner’s Guide to Advent by Amy-Jill Levine
- Final Words from the Cross by Adam Hamilton
- The Walk: Five Essential Practices of the Christian Life by Adam Hamilton
- Simon Peter: Flawed but Faithful Disciple by Adam Hamilton
- John: The Gospel of Light and Life by Adam Hamilton
- Finding Bethlehem in the Midst of Bedlam by James W. Moore
- Entering the Passion of Jesus: A Beginner’s Guide to Holy Week by Amy-Jill Levine
- Creed: What Christians Believe and Why by Adam Hamilton
- Virus as a Summons to Faith: Biblical Reflections in a Time of Loss, Grief, and Uncertainty by Walter Brueggemann
- Saving Grace: A Guide to Financial Well-Being by Abingdon Press
Cokesbury’s Best Books of 2020
Cokesbury also published a list of their best books of 2020. See the full list on their website, or borrow one of the titles below from the Media Center.
- Soul Reset: Breakdown, Breakthrough, and the Journey to Wholeness by Junius B. Dotson
- Hebrews: Grace and Gratitude by David A. deSilva
- Acts: Catching Up with the Spirit by Matthew L. Skinner
- Stories Jesus Told: How to Read a Parable by Greg Carey
- Reckless Love: Jesus’ Call to Love Our Neighbor by Tom Berlin
- Why? Making Sense of God’s Will by Adam Hamilton
- Holding Up Your Corner: Talking about Race in Your Community by F. Willis Johnson
- Fear of the Other: No Fear in Love by William H. Willimon
- The Art of Hospitality: A Practical Guide for a Ministry of Radical Welcome by Yvonne Gentile & Debi Nixon
- Three Simple Rules for Christian Living by Rueben P. Job
- Fierce: Women of the Bible Who Changed the World by Jennifer Cowart
- Surrendered: Letting Go & Living Like Jesus by Barb Roose
- I’m Waiting, God: Finding Blessing in God’s Delays by Barb Roose
- Romans: Good News that Changes Everything by Melissa Spoelstra
- The Passion Play: Living the Story of Christ’s Last Days by Rob Fuquay
- The Grace of Les Miserables by Matt Rawle
- 24 Hours That Changed the World by Adam Hamilton
- A Different Kind of Christmas: Living and Giving Like Jesus by Mike Slaughter
- You Are Never Alone: Trust in the Miracle of God’s Presence and Power by Max Lucado
- Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero
- The Case for Easter: Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus by Lee Strobel
- Gospel Discipleship: 4 Pathways for Christian Discipleship by Michelle J. Morris
- Embracing the Uncertain: A Lenten Study for Unsteady Times by Magrey R. deVega
- The Adept Church: Navigating Between a Rock and a Hard Place by F. Douglas Powe, Jr.
- Growing Through Disaster: Tools for Financial and Trauma Recovery in Your Faith Community by Clayton L. Smith and Matt Schoenfeld
- Fresh Expressions of People Over Property by Audrey Warren and Kenneth H. Carter, Jr.
- The Class Meeting: Reclaiming a Forgotten (and Essential) Small Group Experience by Kevin M. Watson
- Living Faithfully Revised and Updated: Human Sexuality and The United Methodist Church
- Holy Love: A Biblical Theology for Human Sexuality by Steve Harper
- 40 Days with Wesley by Rueben P. Job
- Wesley One Volume Commentary by Kenneth J. Collins
- What Every Christian Needs to Know about Judaism: Exploring the Ever-Connected World of Christians and Jews by Rabbi Evan Moffic
- God and the Pandemic: A Christian Reflection on the Coronavirus and Its Aftermath by N. T. Wright
- Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory by Tod Bolsinger
- Jesus and the Disinherited by Howard Thurman
- The Cross and the Lynching Tree by James H. Cone
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- Raising White Kids: Bringing Up Children in a Racially Unjust America by Jennifer Harvey
- Wondering about the Bible with Children: Engaging a Child’s Curiosity about the Bible by Elizabeth F. Caldwell
Lewis Center Top Resources
The Lewis Center for Church Leadership at Wesley Theological Seminary also posted a list of their Top Resources of 2020. Most of these DVD and CD-ROM resources for church leaders and small groups are available to borrow from the Media Center.
Request These Resources
These resources can be borrowed for free by anyone involved with a United Methodist Church in the North Carolina Conference. We will mail them to your home! All you need to do is fill out the Resource Request Form.