The Lewis Center for Church Leadership at Wesley Theological Seminary publishes DVD studies full of well-researched tips and techniques for growing and leading your church.
These resources include five or more video lectures on DVD along with study guides, discussion questions, and supplementary material on a CD-ROM.
Keep reading to find out about their latest offering on hospitality as well as more of their resources on class leaders, stewardship, outreach, and moving to a new pastorate.
Request These Resources
These resources can be borrowed for free by anyone involved with a United Methodist Church in the North Carolina Conference. We will mail them to your home! All you need to do is fill out the Resource Request Form.
This video tool kit will help you develop a congregation-wide ethos of hospitality and institute best practices for greeting newcomers, making them feel at home and encouraging them to return. It includes study and discussion guides, a congregational inventory, and guidelines for greeters. Watch a preview clip of each video session.
- Unit 1: Biblical Hospitality (10:23)
- Unit 2: Seeing Your Church Through the Eyes of Someone New (4:03)
- Unit 3: Your Welcome Begins Online (5:31)
- Unit 4: How Welcoming is Your Building? (6:32)
- Unit 5: Hospitality is Everybody’s Responsibility (10:42)
- Unit 6: Making Your Worship Visitor-Friendly (11:09)
- Unit 7: Letting Your Visitors Know You Want to See Them Again (8:00)
- Unit 8: Action Planning (PDF)
This DVD study draws on the extensive work of Dr. David Lowes Watson, a leading scholar of Methodist history and an advocate for the revitalization of the office of class leader to provide a more intentional approach to faith formation and accountable discipleship in today’s church.
This study is designed for use in adult classes or small group settings. The material supports class sessions that are approximately 45 minutes in length. Each session includes a short reading, a video presentation, discussion questions, and a brief prayer. Watch a preview video.
- Session 1: Class Leaders in the Early Methodist Movement (9:25)
- Session 2: The Role and Responsibilities of Class Leaders (9:19)
- Session 3: What are the Qualities of a Good Class Leader? (3:32)
- Session 4: Class Leaders in the Church Today (6:24)
- Session 5: The Nature of Discipleship and the Role of Class Leaders (9:59)
- Session 6: Helping People Grow as Disciples (7:31)
- Session 7: Class Leaders and the Role of Laity in Today’s Church (5:37)
This DVD study explores strategies your congregation can use to reach beyond its walls with worship, community events, ministries, and service — meeting community members where they are and moving them toward discipleship. It includes supplementary articles, worksheets, and resource lists. Watch a preview clip of each video session.
- Unit 1: Seven Practices of an Outside-in Church (27:30)
- Unit 2: Go Where the People Are (16:52)
- Unit 3: Becoming an Interactive Congregation (6:34)
- Unit 4: Blessing Your Community (28:36)
- Unit 5: Discipleship 101: Getting Ready (17:38)
- Unit 6: Ministries and Community Engagement: Heading Out! (13:20)
- Unit 7: Reaching Out through Community Events (22:53)
More Lewis Center Studies
The Media Center also has the following DVD studies from the Lewis Center for Church Leadership:
- Building and Funding Your Capital Budget
- Theology of Stewardship and Biblical Generosity
- Developing Your Operating Budget
- The Right Start: Beginning Ministry in a New Setting
- Engaging Local Schools
- The New Welcome
The Lewis Center also offers a free online video series, Moving Faith Communities to Fruitful Conversations about Race.