The next Unity Dialogue is Wednesday, November 11, 2 – 4 p.m. in Dixon Chapel at the Methodist Building, 700 Waterfield Ridge Place, Garner NC.
A Service of Holy Communion.
Rev. Ned Hill – Sermon – Nehemiah 5:1,6,9-12a,13b.
Revised Provisional Purpose:
The purpose of The Unity Dialogue is to equip the saints to listen to, and to speak, the truth in love about difficult topics, particularly regarding the Church and homosexuality.
Suggested Guidelines for Dialogue/Christian Conferencing:
- Seek to deepen the bonds of relationship as we connect within the covenant of Christian community.
- Speak from your own experience. Use “I” statements — not “everyone” or “you” or “those people.”
- Listen deeply to assist the Spirit moving in others.
- Practice reflecting back what you think another has said.
- Do not try to fix, change, or give advice to others.
- Seek to find common values.
- Challenge one another based on the others’ values rather than imposing yours.
- The stories may leave the room, but the names do not.
- Honor the authority of the facilitator or group leader.
- Step up or step back. Chime in, but make room for quiet ones, too.
- Remember: In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.
- Pray [for the Church and the world] before, during, and after our gatherings.
- Reflect on Scripture during the gatherings.
Community Dialogue and Table Discussions to Follow the Sermon.