General Purpose of Position:
Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
1. Love youth as they are while encouraging them in developing their relationship with God.
2. Challenge youth to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and world.
• Ensure that the “Safe Sanctuaries Policy” is observed in all youth ministry settings.
• Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
• Effectively communicate with church staff, leadership, parents, and the congregation in a timely manner using multiple resources.
• Support and guide the work of the Youth Council in an annual process of developing and evaluating the goals of the youth ministry and directing monthly planning sessions.
• Recruit and train volunteers to work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
• Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 6-12) and recruit teachers in partnership with the Director of Christian Education.
• Plan and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the pastor and mentors.
• Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
• Organize and assist with fund raisers to support youth projects and activities.
• Maintain a teamwork mentality.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
• Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology.
• A bachelor’s degree in a related field is a minimum requirement. Professional Certi