The general purpose of the the position is to build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
The Primary Task:
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth ministry at all levels in the connectional system of the United Methodist Church and in all ministry areas of the local church. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of youth ministry to:
-love youth where they are
-encourage youth in developing their relationship to God
-provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
-challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and
1. Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes,
concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
2. Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in
the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
3. Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
4. Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programming and
participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
5. Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth
ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
6. Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people,