Website Wesleyan Chapel UMC
Reports to Lead Pastor (primary) and SPRC
Supervises Contemporary Music Leader and Accompanist
General – as a staff team member of Wesleyan Chapel UMC, one is expected to be fully supportive of furthering the mission of the UMC “to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world” and of Wesleyan Chapel “to grow together in Christ to produce his fruit” and to support the core values of Vibrant Worship, Intentional Outreach, Nurturing Hospitality and Empowering Disciples (VINE). Children, Youth and Family ministry is primarily accountable under the Core Value of Vibrant Worship.
The Director is responsible for all ministries related to music, including but not limited to traditional and contemporary worship, adult choir and handbells, children and youth music and seasonal music events. The Director must work in collaboration with the pastor, contemporary worship leader, adult choir and bell members, and children’s and youth leaders.
Qualifications – The Director is the principal leader, organizer, teacher, and resource person of the music ministry. Specific qualifications include:
· Must have prior experience in directing a choir or instrumental group. Formal music education and/or training is preferred.
· Must have a strong sacred music background, both traditional and contemporary worship styles with knowledge of music theory, performance, and vocal and/or keyboard knowledge.
· Must be able to relate to people and be sensitive to their needs.
· Must have the ability to organize, plan, schedule and coordinate the music and music activities of the church.
· Must be willing to coordinate and supervise other paid or volunteer staff associated with music in the church.
· Must be willing to cooperate and work with the ministers of the church and committees as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following. The Director of Music:
· Coordinates all music programs within the church, to include the contemporary worship as well as traditional worship services.
· Recruits as many volunteers as possible to conduct a meaningful and comprehensive program for the church.
· Supervises other staff or volunteers assisting with the music program.
· Responsible for scheduling and planning of all special music for all worship services and also special worship services throughout the year
· Purchases and approves all music for the church as long as it does not exceed the amount approved in the budget for the year. Collaborates with the contemporary worship team and the children’s/youth programs for their music needs.
· Ensures all music is properly recorded, filed, and replaced as needed.
· Conducts weekly rehearsals as well as special rehearsals for the chancel choir and bell choir.
· Works in collaboration with the pastor(s) and plans music in advance according to seasons and to weekly deadlines.
· Works in collaboration with children and/or youth councils in planning and organizing special events that include music. Provides leadership and teaches music for special events such as Vacation Bible School, K-5 Alive, Christmas and Easter programs and other opportunities as may arise.
· Is a team player, attends staff meetings and communicates with other staff effectively.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com