Website Sunrise United Methodist Church, Holly Springs
The Director of Youth Ministries will play a vital role in the overall mission of Sunrise United Methodist Church by leading our congregation’s spiritual formation & discipleship efforts for our middle school and high school students. In addition to collaborating with fellow staff members and developing cooperative relationships with adult volunteers, the Youth Director will develop strong relationships with the Sunrise youth; organize, lead, and delegate activities for weekly youth group and Sunday School; and plan for annual spiritual formation events including Discovery Weekend, Pilgrimage, and a fellowship/spiritual enrichment retreat. The Youth Director will serve 20 hours a week with a flexible schedule during 10 months of the year (excluding June and July).
1. Discipleship Activities
- Minister to the spiritual needs of youth and their families, orienting them to the life-transforming love of Jesus Christ.
- Train, oversee, and coordinate teachers for middle school through high school Sunday school classes.
- Train and coordinate leaders/mentors to serve in the youth ministry, including youth group, Bible studies, Sunday School, mission trips, relationship building, and other youth ministry activities.
- Plan and implement Bible studies, classes relating to worship, spiritual formation retreats, and mission projects.
- Collaborate with Children’s Director to recruit youth volunteers to participate in annual Vacation Bible School coordination with the VBS planning committee.
- Chair or delegate administrative responsibilities for the Youth Ministry Team (committee functions: agenda, minutes, track expenses, budgeting, etc.).
- Organize bi-annual confirmation process for middle schoolers, in partnership and consultation with Pastor.
- Build healthy relationships with the youth, parents, and volunteers.
- Be informative and provide supportive communications with volunteer ministry leaders.
- Provide input for publication in church website, newsletter, social media platforms, and direct communications with parents and youth.
- Ability to use on-line meeting platforms (i.e., Zoom), text, and social networking platforms (Remind, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) to communicate and engage youth in ministry.
- Create, organize, and update SignUp Geniuses (or other organizing tool) for various ministries (Youth dinners, Sunday school teachers, etc.).
3. Planning, Organizing, and Reporting
- Recruit teachers for middle school and high school level Sunday school.
- Recruit volunteers to support specific activities/events (Discovery Weekend [including host homes], Pilgrimage, Appalachia Service Project, mission trips, etc.).
- Facilitate Sunday evening Youth Group for spiritual formation and fellowship.
- Assist the pastor incorporating youth into the church services, as possible.
- Coordinate, as needed, with the Director of Children & Youth Music Ministries.
- Partner with other staff and lay leaders in coordinating the yearly church calendar and major events as they relate to youth and families.
- Attend the Administrative Council and Staff Meetings on a regular basis to report on youth activities and needs.
4. Managing Information, Supplies, and Budget
- Collect, file, and secure youth medical forms and youth information forms. Partner with Director of Communications & Operations for input into Planning Center Online database.
- Keep an inventory with supplies for youth ministry and ensure necessary items are available as needed.
- Order, copy, and distribute curriculum and lessons for all ministries, as needed.
5. Liability Oversight and Supervisory Roles
- Ensure that a viable Safe Sanctuary Program is maintained. Coordinate needed tasks via a support committee, ensure appropriate records are maintained, and coordinate a review/revision of policy on an annual basis to ensure the policy meets the needs of Sunrise.
- Participate frequently in leading different aspects of worship services.
- Ensure personal spiritual growth is a focus, adjusting work activities as needed.
- Attend the equivalent of 20hrs of continuing education opportunities annually.
- Read one book a quarter on youth ministry, spiritual formation, or Christian discipleship.
7. Personality Traits and Personal Requirements
- Model a life of holiness, faith, and balance.
- Supportive and enthusiastic attitude regarding the church’s mission and activities.
- Have a sound understanding of the United Methodist doctrine and church structure, policy, and mission.
- Flexibility in work schedule, with the ability to be present for Sunday activities.
- Leadership, planning, organization, and program management skills.
- Clear, concise communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Ability to engage support from volunteers and delegate tasks for program support.
- Please note: a criminal background check is required for this position.
Applicants may submit resume and cover letter to:
ATTN: Sunrise UMC Staff-Parish Relations Committee Chair
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org