Website Sunrise United Methodist Church, Holly Springs
The Director of Music will play a vital role in the worship life of Sunrise UMC, leading music in various aspects of our worship. Leadership is expected for Sunday mornings, rehearsals with church musicians, and other special services, including (but not limited to) Christmas and Easter.
Depending on a candidate’s areas of musical expertise, this may include traditional music (11:00 service and choir, handbells, and holiday cantatas) AND/OR contemporary music (9:00 service and praise band, youth and childrens’ music programs, and VBS music). Hours and part/full time status will depend on the number of areas the candidate is willing and competent to direct. If a candidate wants to focus on either traditional or contemporary music, we would be willing to hire multiple individuals in complementary roles.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Plan and prepare weekly music, in collaboration with the pastor and staff, according to the needs of the worship services, and lead rehearsals with church musicians.
If a candidate is skilled in contemporary praise music:
- Lead the congregation and/or direct the praise band in the weekly contemporary praise worship service. A strong working familiarity of contemporary praise music is vital.
- Direct our Middle and High School youth music program, conducting practice on a weekly basis during the traditional school year.
- Assist with music for our annual summer Vacation Bible School.
If a candidate is skilled in traditional music:
- Lead the congregation and/or direct the choir in singing hymns/songs for the weekly traditional/liturgical service. Familiarity with the United Methodist Hymnal is preferred.
- Direct special and/or seasonal musical groups such as the handbell choir, the Mustian Men’s Choir, and holiday cantata ensembles.
Additional music opportunities:
- Direct and/or coordinate volunteers to lead preschool and elementary-aged musicians in a children’s music program, conducting practice weekly during the traditional school year.
- Plan, prepare, and lead music and church musicians in Christian holiday services including but not limited to Christmas (including Christmas Eve) and Easter (including Maundy Thursday, Good Friday).
- Provide information to the congregation through our e-newsletter, church website, etc.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and monthly Administrative Council meetings.
- Be an effective member of the Worship Team, including timely communication of plans to the various music groups, staff, Church Pianist and A/V volunteers/staff.
Management / General Administration
- Partner with other staff and lay leaders in coordinating the yearly church calendar and major events as they relate to music.
- Purchase, inventory, and maintain storage of music, materials, equipment, and supplies required for the various music groups.
- Budget and maintain accurate records of monies spent in support of the music ministries.
- Promptly report planned absences to the Pastor and Financial Secretary, and arrange for substitute music or musicians as needed during approved leave times.
- Coordinate the Audio/Visual schedule and oversee A/V volunteer/staff coverage for regular and holiday/special services.
- Select / offer assistance in selecting music, materials, and supplies as required, working with A/V volunteers/staff to ensure lyrics and graphics are correctly projected in worship.
Traditional music focus duties:
- Supervise and provide work direction and management to the Church Pianist, and arrange for substitutes as needed.
- Schedule piano tunings and maintenance for the church bells.
- In collaboration with the Pastor, oversee the Worship Committee, Altar Guild, and Acolyte Training Program.
- Have faith in Christ and consistently demonstrate a Christ-centered life.
- Supportive and enthusiastic attitude regarding the church’s mission and activities.
- Ability to compassionately interact with a variety of people.
- Strong management skills, with an ability to plan ahead and work as a team member.
- Creative and willing to bring new forms of worship to the church.
- Ability to leverage volunteers and engage “hidden talent” from the congregation to support the music and arts ministry.
Computer / Technical Skills
- Knowledgeable in use of Google/Microsoft office suite, Planning Center Online (for worship planning), and ProPresenter (sanctuary A/V program).
- Knowledge of Audio/Visual equipment to assist in the training of A/V volunteers/staff.
Applicants may submit resume and cover letter to:
ATTN: Angie DiNoto, Sunrise UMC Staff-Parish Relations Committee Chair
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org