St. James UMC Common Thread Music Leader
Common Thread is the 9:45 nontraditional worship service, held each week on Sunday mornings. The Music Leader of this service is a member of the St. James staff, and the position is under the supervision of the music director of the church. The Music Leader should be a Christian person, who is moving to maturity in faith, is a strong team player, and who understands the role of music in worship. This person understands that worship is not a concert, nor a solo act, but is an act of the corporate body. Specific tasks for which this position is responsible are:
1. Works with the pastor to schedule and select music for the weekly services.
2. Is a member of the Common Thread Worship Design Team, participating in service design.
3. Recruits qualified band members, both instrumental and vocal.
4. Conducts weekly rehearsals of the band and ensures that music is prepared for Sunday services.
5. Works with other members of the music staff to maintain music equipment.
6. Works with sound system leaders to optimize sound in Carson Hall.
7. Works with other members of the music staff to maintain the music library for Common Thread. Knows where to find appropriate instrumental/vocal music for a nontraditional service.
8. Assists in the preparation of weekly video presentations, using appropriate software as chosen by the technology committee.
9. Is a member of the church staff and participates in staff functions as appropriate and needed.