Chestnut Ridge Camp and Retreat Center Internship
Farm and Garden Specialist
10 month internship – late February through late November
$1,000 stipend per month + a room in shared living quarters, utilities, meals (when served to camp guests)
Position Description: This internship is focused on small farm sustainable agriculture and Christian community
building. Key focus areas of learning include community garden and hoop house management; multi-species small scale farm animal management; sharing gardening and farming activities with children/youth; marketing and event planning; and community outreach.
In this role, you will participate in and grow your knowledge of producing fruits and vegetables sustainably, the small scale raising of animals for food, and effective ways to build community relationships. You will also assist in designing and implementing programs that teach children and adults about farming and the benefits of healthy eating. Based on your skills and program design, you will play a leadership role for the summer camp season as well.
Interns will live in an intentional Christian community which prays, worships, works, and recreates with one
Interns are expected to work approximately 40+ hours per week, which will include some evenings and weekends..
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
● Providing assistance with all activities in the community garden and hoop house at The Community Farm
● Developing relationships with volunteers and the local community
● General farm maintenance
● Feeding and caring for multiple species of livestock
● Harvesting, storage, and distribution of garden produce
● Facilitating activities for children in the Camper Garden
● Leading farm tours, including driving hay rides
● Teaching classes for Outdoor Education field trips
● Designing, planning, and implementing new farm and garden related summer camp activities and programs
● Participating in the worship life of the community
● Other duties as assigned
Interns should also be willing to participate as needed in the “behind the scenes” facets of camp life including,
but not limited to:
● Kitchen duties
Qualifications: Applicant must have at least one growing season of experience in and a passion for sustainable
farming and gardening. Experience in caring for animals and working with children and youth is also
recommended. We are looking for a team member with a strong work ethic, excellent communication skills, gifts
in hospitality, creativity, flexibility, and ability to work both as a member of a team and independently. Applicants must be willing to have a flexible schedule and work some evenings, weekends or holidays as needed. Candidate must be 21 or older.
Please email or call for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-338-2820.
Job Link: http://www.campchestnutridge.org/