Common Thread is the 9:45 nontraditional weekly worship service. The Band is an ensemble group with several vocalists and keyboards/guitars/bass/drums/flute instruments. It is not a typical one leader with backup singers. The Music Leader for this service is a member of the church staff and is responsible for music selection, recruiting and auditioning band members, working with the band in worship preparation, and leading music in the weekly service.
• A Christian person with a calling to worship leadership
• A strong team player, working well with other staff and volunteers
• Someone who understands the role of music in worship
• A music degree or equivalent in experience in church-based music ministry
• Plays at least one of the core instruments in a worship band
• Works with the pastor to schedule and select music for the weekly services.
• Is a member of the Worship Team, participating in service design.
• Recruits qualified band members, both instrumental and vocal.
• Conducts weekly rehearsals of the band and ensures that music is prepared for Sunday services.
• Identifies challenges in the Common Thread ministry area and assumes responsibility for seeking resolution of those challenges.
• Works with other members of the music staff to maintain music equipment.
• Works with sound system leaders to optimize sound in Carson Hall.
• Works with other members of the music staff to maintain the music library for Common Thread. Seeks appropriate instrumental/vocal music for a nontraditional service.
• Is a member of the St. James UMC staff and participates in staff functions as appropriate and needed.