THE UNITY DIALOGUE
General Conference 2016
Discussing Possible Ways Forward Regarding Human Sexuality
Change – Choice – Continuance
Where: Dixon Chapel – NC Conference of The United Methodist Church
700 Waterfield Ridge Place, Garner, NC
When: January 13, 2016/Wednesday/2:00-4:00 p.m.
Agenda for the Day
A Service of Holy Communion Rev. Leonard Fairley – Sermon
Welcome/Introductions/Revised Provisional Purpose/ Suggested Guidelines
PROVISIONAL PURPOSE: The purpose of The Unity Dialogue is to equip the saints to listen to, and to speak, the truth in love about difficult topics, particularly regarding the Church and homosexuality.
SUGGESTED GUIDELINES FOR DIALOGUE/CHRISTIAN CONFERENCING
- Seek to deepen the bonds of relationship as we connect within the covenant of Christian community.
- Speak from your own experience. Use “I” statements — not “everyone” or “you” or “those people.”
- Listen deeply to assist the Spirit moving in others.
- Practice reflecting back what you think another has said.
- Do not try to fix, change, or give advice to others.
- Seek to find common values.
- Challenge one another based on the others’ values rather than imposing yours.
- The stories may leave the room, but the names do not.
- Honor the authority of the facilitator or group leader.
- Step up or step back. Chime in, but make room for quiet ones, too.
- Remember: In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.
- Pray [for the Church and the world] before, during, and after our gatherings.
- Reflect on Scripture during the gatherings.
The Dialogue: Possible Ways Forward for GC 2016: Change, Choice, Continuance Regarding Human Sexuality
Rev. Laurie Hays Coffman on Changing Church Teaching
Bishop Hope Morgan Ward on Allowing Choice, as Proposed by the Connectional Table
Rev. Paul T. Stallsworth on Continuing Church Teaching
Rev. Gene Tyson on Rev. Adam Hamilton’s Proposal
Plenary Discussion of the Possible Ways Forward
Table Talk: The people at each table will discuss, among themselves, the matters that have arisen.
Plenary Discussion of the Table Talk – Sharing as the Body of Christ
Final Things – Bishop Hope Morgan Ward
Go in Peace – 4:00 PM