Even though we are not all sharing space, there are still considerations for safety in online activities. The NCCUMC requires all local churches to have a Safe Sanctuary policy and train their staff and volunteers in its application. If you do not yet have a policy, this is the class for you! This is also a good time to examine your policy, if you have one already, and assess how your training can be enhanced. The Safe Sanctuaries online class registration opens Wednesday, September 16 through Friday, September 25. Class sessions run October 5 through 18. Registration is available through this link. Registration fee is $30 plus the cost of the required text (order from this link). Participants can expect to spend approximately one hour per workday for the 10-hour class.
In this class learners will:
- Become acquainted with various forms of abuse of children, youth, and vulnerable adults and common signs
- Explore social media guidelines
- Be able to describe potential safety situations for activities outside the walls of the church and what practices might make them safer
- Describe and assess elements of an effective response plan
- Craft their own Safe Sanctuaries policy for adoption in their own local church setting