Certification Studies in The United Methodist Church
Certification is the church’s recognition that an individual has met the required standards for academic training, experience, and continuing study necessary to achieve and maintain professional excellence.
The church’s need for individuals who can serve to the best of their ability makes certification by The United Methodist Church increasingly important.
Core Competencies Expected for Certification in Older Adult Ministry
1. An understanding of the aging process and biological, psychological, sociological, and theological aspects of aging.
2. An understanding of the myths and realities of an aging society and implications for the church.
3. Knowledge of faith development, generational theory, and the spirituality of older adults.
4. Ability to effectively guide the teaching and learning with older adults.
5. An understanding of models for ministry with older adults and how to plan for and implement these models.
6. Ability to equip older persons to be in ministry and to fulfill their call to serve Christ.
For more information, click here.