Discipleship & Learning Plan
We give thanks to God for you, brothers and sisters, as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing. – 2 Thessalonians 1:3
Clergy Discipleship and Learning Plans are developed so that each of us may grow in grace and love as we become stronger leaders in the places we serve.
Two tools are available for you to use:
- Clergy Discipleship and Leadership Plan Worksheet: This is not a report to be filled out; it is a guide to assist you in your thinking and planning.
- List of Resources: This is suggestive but not exhaustive. Use your creativity as you think about the ways in which you plan to learn and grow in your discipleship.
In fall gatherings with clergy and laity, we will think together about these plans and the way they can advance the mission of our annual conference in making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, in every place, through effective leaders and healthy churches.
Download the worksheet (PDF) to begin working on your plan.
These three questions will be helpful to you as you pray and discern the ways in which you plan to grow and learn in the next year as a disciple of Jesus Christ and a leader of God’s people through The United Methodist Church.
- What particular opportunity or challenge does this time hold for your life in ministry?
- What do you need or want to learn? How do you want to grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ?
- Who can help you learn and grow as you lead God’s people?
A Clergy Discipleship and Learning Plan is designed for learning across time in community with others. It is not participation in a one-time learning event or seminar, and it may or may not be convergent with the important and necessary requirement for CEUs. It is deep and sustained and collegial.
It will be helpful to share your plan with the leaders of your church as you move into the fall so that they may support you in following your plan.
Leaders in your district, guided by the District Superintendent, will be available to assist you, as needed.
Helpful resources toward the development of learning plans are now available below.
We look forward to learning together as we experience deepened discipleship, the winds of the Holy Spirit in our lives, and the creativity that is a good gift of God.